Friday, November 8, 2013

Season 1, Episode 15: Babes in the Woods

Guys, there are 96 episodes of Small Wonder.  Once upon a time, this was a super exciting prospect.  Now I’m on the fifteenth episode and I can see why my friend didn’t think I’d last this long.  I’m going to make it, I am, it’s just… I knew Small Wonder was bad, but it wasn’t until I had to really concentrate on every episode I saw how bad.  I still love the show.  If I could watch it mindlessly, I would still enjoy it, even though now a part of me is always going to notice how much time Joan and Vicki spend in the kitchen, and how the people that are pro-women’s and children’s rights are the characters you’re supposed to dislike.

In some good news, at the end of the season, I am posting the rules for the Small Wonder drinking game.  It’s one of the fun things I’m working on so I can give myself a break between seasons so that you guys have something to enhance your own future viewings of Small Wonder.

Anyway, enough procrastinating.  I vaguely remember liking this episode, but the fact that it’s vague and I don’t explicitly remember liking this episode worries me.  So, let’s see how crazy I go.



Surprise, surprise, we start with Vicki and Joan in the kitchen.  It’s an episode where everyone goes camping… and, you know what, it’s not worth it.  I cannot change the 80s.  Vicki and Joan are baking a cake, and because there are not enough reminders that Vicki isn’t actually human, she’s also the timer.  Joan forgets Vicki takes things literally and tells her to put the cake down and Vicki drops it.  Ted comes home and wants to know what happened and Joan explains.  She decides to clean it up, but Ted’s like, “That’s what the slave child’s for.  It’s been a whole two minutes and we haven’t worked in a sex joke yet.”



Reggie comes over with bad news that the camping trip is off, which ruins the Lawson’s plans of spending the whole weekend sexing it up.  I don’t see how, these are the same people who routinely make sex jokes in front of the kids and can’t be bothered to stop going at it when their kid walks into a room – why are they choosing now to pretend they have shame?



Up in his room, Jamie is packing, presumably for the camping trip but in this show, who knows?  He could be trying to run away again because his sixth sense told him there’s no cake.  Reggie tells Jamie that the camping trip is off, and the boys are excited.  They hate camping – of course they do.  Camping is awesome – but in all fairness, I grew up in the middle of nowhere and routinely explored woods just to have something to do.  The boys fake being heartbroken, but it backfires because Ted is going to take the entire family camping.  He’s even remembering to bring Vicki, which is impressive for Ted.  I’m honestly surprised he didn’t think he could just shut her down and stick her in the cabinet for an entire weekend.  They also manage to make a joke about Ted’s cooking, which is crazy because, again, Ted’s too alpha to do anything resembling “woman’s” work.



Hey, first time Vicki’s not wearing a dress and it’s not a costume!  The Lawson’s get ready for their camping trip, and Harriet comes over.  She puts on the Brindle Swindle and gets invited to camping with the rest of the family.  They have to work in Vicki’s BFF somehow, right?  Plus, this way, there’s exactly as many girls as boys and they’re not being sexist!  Or something.



Everyone gets too lazy to get to the real campsite, so they just set up camp wherever they ended up.  Ted reveals to Joan that they’re lost because even though he marked the trail with popcorn, Harriet ate it.  Harriet’s a glutton now?  That’s what we’re going with?  Sure, why not.  The kids don’t know that they’re lost.  Meanwhile, Ted has Vicki set up the tent, and then after Harriet gets scared of a “monster”, he makes Vicki go after it.  The monster ends up being a lizard, and Ted is scared of it, too.  Everyone is screwed.



Vicki, Reggie, and Jamie go to collect wood, and Vicki smells chili dogs.  Turns out they’re near a zoo and a snack bar, which excites the boys because they’re saved from Ted’s cooking.   Apparently, Ted does cook that night, and it’s all burnt.  Harriet catches on that Vicki didn’t eat anything, so of course they make up an excuse that nobody questions too hard.



While they’re trying to sleep, they clearly hear a lion and Ted tries to say it’s crickets.  Everyone clearly sees through the bullshit.  Jamie knows it’s the zoo, but Ted doesn’t let him get a word in edgewise.  Soon they also hear monkeys and elephants, and everyone is confused.  Vicki admits to the zoo, but then she rats out Jamie and Reggie for eating chili dogs.  Ted is disappointed that he had to eat his own cooking.  So now that they’re not lost, they’re excited about the snack bar.  And… episode over.

No wonder I only vaguely remembered liking the episode.  It’s not loathsome, but at the same time – it’s not memorable.  But the Lawsons did get to spend more than half of an episode outside of the house, and I think that’s the most so far, so maybe I just liked it for that factor.


Firsts: most of the episode is set outside of the Lawson home, Vicki wears an outfit that isn’t her trademarked dress

0 comments:

Post a Comment